For many newlywed couples a honeymoon destination is one that should stand out. It should be a holiday that is unrivalled by any past or future getaways. After the stress and often years of planning, of the wedding, it is your time to unwind and explore a location that all friends and family will envy. Of course, the list of destinations is almost endless and can be a difficult decision to make, considering what you both want from the trip and how you may set the tone for your future lives together.
There are times when married couples must compromise and maybe this is one of the first times that you’ll have to do so, but surely us girls get the final say?
Firstly, decide if it is a city or beach break you are after, an adventurous or relaxation and pampering break or a far away and culturally different experience. In fact, this may be the first most important decision that is made as a new couple! Consider how long you wish to escape for and the budget that you both have set aside. There are so many options available and often speaking to other newly weds will point you in the best direction. We have compiled our personal list of top 4 honeymoon destinations below, ones which will provide a lifetime of memories, unique and memorable experiences and last but not least, romance. Not only that, we have also listed things to see and do whilst there, as well as special places to eat and stunning daily trips to join.
Bora Bora – For The Beach Beauties
Bora Bora is one of the most idyllic, postcard perfect, tropical beach locations there ever will be. Cosying up to your husband on the balcony of your private bungalow, above the clear waters whilst watching the sun set will be a feeling that will unlikely be met elsewhere. Did we mention that you can rent a whole island to yourself here? Leaving just the two of you to relax and enjoy a private island for snorkelling, capturing photos and lunch on the sand – there is truly no better place to make those special memories.
- Le Meridien Bora Bora – One of the more budget friendly resorts in Bora Bora, but still boasts picturesque views of Mount Otemanu with a gorgeous crescent shaped beach, each side facing different views. The overwater suits provide guests with an unbelievable view of the lagoon and each contain huge glass bottom floors that let you look down into the wonders of the clear blue water. Surely this is the definition of romance?! The resort even has a dive school, an Ecological Centre and a turtle sanctuary where you can visit these beautiful animals that have been rescued.
- Bloody Mary’s – A relatively casual restaurant, but one which is unique and worth the visit. Here you and your man are taken into the kitchen where you choose your meal from the fresh-caught seafood on display. The dining room floor is covered in sand, and provide a laid back feel to a restaurant where the likes of the Rolling Stones have dined before you!
- St. Regis Bora Bora Resort – Aside from this being another stunning resort ideal for honeymooners, they offer the perfect couple’s massage that will have you suitably relaxed for the night ahead (ahem)! We recommend you book the last massage time of the day so it can be performed by candlelight right at the water’s edge. Follow this with a private dining experience next to the lagoon and tropical vegetation, and voila, the perfect night for new couples is made!
Rome – For The City Dwellers
Italy is well known for its romance. It’s cobbled streets, stone buildings, landmark museums, rich history and romantic restaurants make it an ideal choice for newlyweds who wish to be captivated with their loved ones and explore a city which has a lot to offer. The array of Roman architecture will keep you memorised for days and provide for good photo opportunities especially when the sun sets over the ancient city landscape.
- Teatro dell’Opera – Get lost with your hubby in the art of opera in one of Romes most impressive amphitheatres, a building which is known worldwide for its detail and grandeur. We can guarantee that you both will be overwhelmed with emotion and shivers when the performers voice echoes around this huge building; it certainly is an experience that cannot be described.
- Trevi’s Fountain – Known across the world as one of the most beautiful fountains ever created, this spot could be the highlight of your honeymoon – no other city on the planet has a fountain this impressive. It is one of the oldest sources of water in Rome and certainly creates a spellbinding experience for you and your partner.
- La Pergola – Overseen by one of the best chefs in Italy, this restaurant is one not to be missed. Found within the Rome Cavalieri Resort and with impressive views over the Eternal City, this is quite simply one of the worlds most beautiful restaurants. Stemming from Italian and Mediterranean tradition, the fusion of flavours and quality of ingredients sets this restaurant apart from hundreds of others in Rome.
Iceland – For The Adventure Junkies
Iceland is a country that attracts thousands of adrenaline junkies each year. If scuba diving between two tectonic plates, trekking through lava fields, driving snowmobiles and exploring ice caves sounds like your sort of honeymoon, then look no further – Iceland has it all. Set within a landscape that is hard to find elsewhere on the planet, Iceland provides thrills and excitement that will guarantee to get the adrenaline pumping and leave memories that will certainly impress the grandkids! The Nordic country may not have any of the beaches that Bora Bora has, or the ancient city landscape that Rome brings, but it has its own uniqueness to offer and this land of fire and ice will only fuel the love between you and your man.
- Northern Lights – Putting this on your To Do List goes without saying! A beautifully romantic opportunity where only nature can do the talking. There are many night tours that can take you and your partner to ideal viewing locations, undisturbed by the city lights.
- Thrihnukagigur Volcano – A dormant volcano that last erupted 4,000 years ago and one that you can descend into! After hiking 2 miles through the breath-taking scenery, the base of the volcano will be reached, and you are then lowered into the volcano using an open elevator system to a depth of 120 metres. Definitely not one for the faint hearted!
- Golden Circle – This is a bit of a road trip that can be done with a private taxi tour or guided tour, but is best done renting a vehicle and driving by yourselves. There is a lot to do on the way around including stopping at Thingvellir National Park, Geysir Hot Springs, the Langjokull glacier and Gullfoss, a spectacular waterfall.
Patagonia – For The Nature Lovers
For any lover of nature, being far away from the hustle and bustle of cities and busy areas is a must. Patagonia is a destination which may not even be considered as a perfect honeymoon location but if you are looking for a remote retreat, worlds away from everything we know and a place that oozes romanticism, then Patagonia is a must. It is easily one of the most unique places in South America ensuring that this one of a kind location is one which will provide memories that will last a lifetime. Over-towered by the stunning, snow topped Andes Mountain Range to all the glaciers and lakes to explore, Patagonia is a region of the world that is a nature lovers’ paradise.
Patagonia is slowly growing in popularity with Honeymooners from all around the world yet is still a destination that remains quite unexpected and secretive. There are many day trips and tours that can be booked ranging from one day to 15 days including glacier visits, whale watching, mountain trekking and visits to the beautiful National Parks.
- El Calafate – The perfect starting point for your adventure, often referred to as the “Gateway to Patagonia” and is in the far north of Patagonia. There are numerous glaciers to be found here including the renowned Perito Moreno Glacier. Day trips to visit this glacier are available and are extremely well priced with an optional boat ride too. This is one location where you must ensure you have your camera!
- Puerto Madryn – This is something to make any bodies knees weak! Puerto Madryn is a hotspot for whale watchers seeking those thrilling moments with nature. There are several day excursions available at specific times of the year that offer visitors an up-close glimpse into the secretive lives of these majestic sea creatures.
- The Singular – A place to experience the authentic taste of Chilean Patagonia whilst overlooking views of the Seno Ultima Esperanza. Located in a rustic building and under the watchful eye of a top chef that mixes French trends with local products, this restaurant delivers culinary delights at their best.